MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Return of the Fangirl

All six of you might have noticed that I haven't been around lately, and for that, I sincerely apologize. I've been up to my eyeballs in schoolwork, and while futbol hasn't completely gone unnoticed in my narrow little life, I've had to let it go for a bit without commentary, since for three weeks it was marginally more important to memorize Spanish phrases like "Para evitar el riesgo de envenenamiento, nunca tome medicina en la obscuridad," which is fine advice and may save your life someday. Or not.

In all the myriad business, I did figure out how to incorporate a little more futbol into my daily life by making it one of my carrots for working out, that is, whenever I lift weights, I put on one of the games I missed over the week/weekend on the MLSLive.com archive, and there you go. Way to make that $20 investment continue to pay off, don't ya think? It was in that capacity that I was able to watch the DC's stunner of a win over Columbus on Wednesday night (where, thanks to the folks at DirectKick, we were treated to a prolonged shot of DC keeper Troy Perkins adjusting everything, from the wall to himself, as he prepared for a free kick from the Crew). Lovely to see an own-gol that wasn't Boswell-produced (I promise that's the last time I mention that, he's certainly recovered from the unfortunate three he garnered last year). I was happy to see Alecko get another gol, but quite honestly, that was a pretty bad lapse on the part of the Crew to let him get that far out and that open. And Lucio Filomeno needs more goles, if only so I can see him whip his shirt off again, because wow.

Couple of things off the wires: Yes, the rumors might be true, Brazilian and Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo really is thinking about coming to MLS at the end of his career. Which is all fine and good for MLS to get guys like him and Beckham, but wouldn't it be nice to get guys like this in their prime rather than just before they're put out to stud? I suppose that's wishful-MLS thinking on my end, but it's something to hope for that someday MLS becomes a place where you want to play at the height of your career, not as a training ground or a retirement home.

And DC fanatics, go check out the story by AP on the Black-and-Red having its best season (so far!! don't jinx it!!) in years. It's still a long way until November, but I have a good feeling. Let's hope that lasts.

And now ... quick picks:
DC vs. New England
Man, not for the first time I wish I lived anywhere near DC. Two home games in one week, wow. OK, so this might mean DC might be playing a bit tired, but it also might mean they can just ride the momentum of their nice 5-1 roadkill of a victory. I'm betting that's going to be the case, and DC will continue their solid streak of not-losing at home.

Dallas vs. Columbus
Yeesh, and yet another away game for the Crew so soon after the aforementioned spanking is not going to improve things for them, especially against Dallas, which has been running hard and fast like a dooley on I-635. Short of a miracle, the Crew has no chance. Watching this game might be the futbol equivalent of an episode of Frasier, where you know that eventually, someone is going to do something fatally embarassing. Sorry Crew, I'll be rootin' for ya though.

Dynamo vs. Galaxy
It's pretty much a no-brainer that Galaxy is out for the count until mid-July, when it gets half its team back from Germany. Never mind that Houston seems to be doing as well if not slightly better sans Brian Ching. This could be the week that LA turns it around, but I don't think it'll happen in Houston.

KC vs. NY
The Wizards have really been off their game lately, and I'm not so sure that they'll be able to turn it around against NY, which has at least been consistent. New York certainly is out to pick up another win, but seeing as I have remembered that futbol teams do draw sometimes, I'm going to go with yet another patented Red Bull draw on this game. KC will get a point, but it won't be enough to keep from eating the dust from DC as it keeps pulling ahead in the standings.

Salt Lake vs. Chicago
Real Salt Lake has got a gem there with Jeff Cunningham, and I'm sure they're hoping that good things do actually come in threes. However, I have a hunch that Chicago will realize that they lost to Chivas last week and are in danger of actually becoming the Chivas of the 2006 season. The Fire will bounce back on this game.

Chivas vs. Rapids
The Rapids won against a California team on Wednesday night, but will that carry over into the Home Depot Center? Chivas claimed its second victory of the season last week against Chicago, and it's probably only my utter hopes that this team will finally, finally pull itself up out of the standings dungeon by making a two-in-a-row this week. My gut actually tells me that Colorado probably will prevail, but I'm ever hopeful. Go goats!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    Haha, many many thanks!! I'm deeply honored by your presence ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home