MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Have fun storming the gol!

Those wacky posters over on the BigSoccer forum have started the mutha of all silly threads (access it through Triangle Soccer Fanatics!) -- altering lines from The Princess Bride and putting them in the mouths of the US Men's Team. It's freaking hilarious.

I didn't feel like signing up for BigSoccer to add my two cents -- or rather, my beloved Husband's two cents, since he came up with these gems -- so I'll just post them here for amused posterity.

USA: Futbol?
Fledgling fan base: That's right. When soccer was started in another country, it was called futbol. And this is a special "foot-ball." It's the futbol that should have been taught by my father, and I should have taught to your father. But today I'm gonna watch it with you.
USA: Has it got anything exciting in it?
Fan base: Are you kidding?! Fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles, genuine athleticism ...
USA: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Fan base: Oh, well thank you very much. Very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.

Later in the television of the World Cup, a brief explanation:

Knowledgeable fans: We don't lose the tournament at this time.
USA: What?
Fans: The first round doesn't get us. I'm explaining this to you because you look nervous.
USA: I wasn't nervous. Maybe I was a little bit "concerned," but that's not the same thing

4 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Wallydrag said…

    Good times.

    Nice to see another Okie, MLS-nutso, soccer-obsessive blogger out there in cyberspace.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice , great blog

    You may like mine
    http://spanishfootballsports.blogspot.com

    Perhaps we can swap links, if so, let me know via email ( see my profile) & pass me yoir full url & title

    Peace!

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Your husband is a funny, funny man. You must feel very fortunate to even know him. :)

    xxx

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    Wallydrag: thanks, and it's good to know that we're not alone here amongst the red dirt!

    rwhgeek: I'm glad the link worked for you and your wife. Who doesn't like The Princess Bride?

    Striker: thanks much!

    BV Brus: Hey, my husband is fortunate to know me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home