MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Weekend wrapup

First off, a big "Wha-hoo, you rock!" to Climbing the Ladder for the wonderful goal compliation. That beats the snot out of just watching them on MLS.net, and it's a great way to wake up on a Sunday morning.

Another great weekend in fútbol, and thanks to MLSTV and ESPN2 I got to watch or listen to five of the six games that were on this weekend. This was the drawingest weekend, and the one draw that I predicted almost came to pass before getting shattered within the 10 minutes of stoppage time. Yep, I'm talkin' 'bout the Súper Clásico between Chivas and the Galaxy, and whattagame that was. The Galaxy looked like they remembered how to play the beautiful game, and once Landon got a toe on the ball and passed them to Cornell Glen, it was all over. I was rooting for Chivas on this one, but I'm not displeased with the way they played the game. They did well against a team that remembered that, oh yeah, we're the Cup Champs, and Chivas really doesn't have anything to be ashamed of. Keep watching the Goats this season.

DC's win over Houston also was a good game, with the Black-and-Red putting the smack down on Brian Ching and his boys in orange. DC's South American investments are still proving that they were a wise choice. Still not seeing as much ooompff out of Freddy Adu as all the hype leads us to believe. Believe me, I want to see him get the goals and the assists, but I also wonder if he's not the soccer version of LeAnn Rimes, the cute lil 13-year-old country music star that everyone thought was fantastic until she grew up, because they realized that singing like an adult at 13 is something, but singing like an adult as an adult is nothing special. Wow, and if that's not a strange comparison, I don't know what is. Anyway, Freddy still plays solidly, and he looked good most of the time on the pitch, so I hope next week -- the first away game! -- he brings it all together and gets on the board. I thought Troy Perkins did well, so well in fact that I wonder what will happen when Nick Rimando returns.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Chicago-Colombus results, but I don't know that it says much for the Crew. That is a very young, very inexperienced team there, and it shows. If not for the PK, they wouldn't have gotten on the board, and I think it was a minor miracle that they held the Fire to 1. I fear that we're looking at the Chivas of 2006. Still, I have much affection for the Crew, and so I'm hopeful for signs of improvement. As for the Fire, it looked to me that they were giving as good as they were getting, which wasn't much all around. I wonder if they're the kind of team that mirrors their opponent, so that they play better against a great team and not so great against a mediocre team. Well, if that's true we'll see on the 30th how well they do against the Revs.

And speaking of the Revs -- actually, let's speak of the Wizards, who are at the top of the standings with three wins. None of this "well, they haven't lost yet" like you can say for New York or Dallas. Nope, they're winning, and they look great doing it. This is a great team -- Wolff, Johnson, Conrad, Garcia, Zavagnin, Victorine, Arnaud, Oshoniyi, a cat ... no, wait the cat wasn't playing for KC. But anyway, if they keep this up, it'll be the year of the Wizards, which just might help them get that stadium and keep them in KC. I wonder what the Revs will do soon, as there's a good chance it'll lose some of its top members to the USMNT. The Wizards stand to lose as well, but there's still enough talent there that won't be going to keep it in form.

New York and Real was the game that I didn't watch, and I can't really say much for the game. I did just notice an update at MLS.net about New York General Manager Alexi Lalas is heading out to LA to take over that position for the Galaxy. Wow, for New York this is a year of change. And I caught the tail-end of the Dallas-Colorado game, and it was already after the goals had been scored, so I can't say much for this game either, other than Dallas is a sure-fire team, but I suspect that Colorado is up-and-coming.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    By the way, Love, Lon said he caught part of the same game I watched, and he was also perturbed at the confetti and streamers potentially screwing up the goalie's efforts on that point.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    Oh feh, the guy's supposed to be able to stop a ball that's coming at him through a mass of moving bodies. If streamers and confetti are going to screw him up, then he needs to get out of the pros. Hartmann's a good keeper. They weren't in his way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home