MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Eagles vs. Goats

Four hours until the DC vs. Chivas match, and I have to say I'm pretty pumped about my fĂștbol day. And I can't believe -- in a good way and a bad way -- that this is a game I'm getting anxious about.

Let me tell ya, I love Chivas. I've loved Chivas since they first hit the ground, that same ground into which they ran their entire initial season. They were patently awful, and I felt really bad about that, because this was an experiment that I wanted to work. As much as I cuss out the Mexican National Team when they play los EE.UU in World Cup qualifiers, I enjoy the snot out of Mexican club play, and Guadalajara's my favorite team. Yeah, I know, it's an easy team to love, much like it's easy to be an Arsenal fan. So when I heard that the new expansion was going to be a Guadalajara expansion, I was all up for it. And I cringed at every tanker of a loss, except that you could tell that they were really really trying, they were working on finding their footing and figuring out how to come together as a team. By the end of the season, they had just about found it.

I was really glad to see that they were doing decently in the off-season, and last week's 3-0 win over Real Salt Lake, which is easily my least favorite team (even more so after the Ellinger fiasco) made me a very happy gal.

Which brings us up to today, up with two teams that are both trying to find their rhythm after a bad previous year. Although the Red-and-Black didn't win its season opener, the team showed that it can get it together and keep the rally going forward. I think that it's going to continue, and this will be the game to do it. Likewise, one can write off the Goats' win with a dismissive "Well, it was just Salt Lake." Except Salt Lake also seemed to do pretty decently in the off-season, so I wouldn't say that it was completely a toss off. Chivas has also found its way, and that's going to continue in their second year.

So predictions -- unless I'm proven wrong today, I think DC still has the better team, especially when the players remember that they are a better team. So it's DC to win, but I think it won't be by more than 1.

New York vs. New England
-- Sheeya, no contest, New England easily. This is a good solid team that knows how to play like a good solid team, whereas New York exploded out and then fizzled.
Dynamo vs. Wizards -- the Wizards are my regional team, and it's a team I love, but I think I'm gonna have to go with the Dynamo on this one, by 2.
Dallas vs. Real -- oh please, Dallas.
Colorado vs. Crew -- A scoreless draw, but I think I'm speaking more out of hope than anything.
Galaxy vs. Fire -- you know, before last week I would have said that LA would win this easily, but after witnessing the smackdown that the Revs handed out, I'm uncertain. One of the problems of having the one shining star is that everyone knows that you need to keep him and the ball separated, and the Revs did that. Chicago played a good tough game with Dallas in its season opener, so I think that unless LA has come up with a new strategy, it's the Fire by 1.

On a final note
To all the people who are arriving at this blog by Googling the words "Soca Bonito," which I included in my early February musings on the USMNT game against Guatemala -- the funky lettering and the oddness of the intial commercial made me misread the first word. It's Joga Bonito, and it's a Nike campaign that asks players to "Play Beautiful." Go check it out at Nike Football, the commercials are great.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Chivas asked me to ask you if you'd meet by the big slide at recess. (I think Chivas likes you!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home