MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Eskandarian's back, baby!

OK, so it was a draw. But what a beautiful draw it was.

After about 15 minutes of play where it seemed like DC United had their eye on the ball, they spent the next 30 collectively acting like flock of headless chickens after a goal by New York's (notice the omission of the product name) Youri Djorkaeff in the 18th minute and followed a couple of minutes later by Edson Buddle. The Black-and-Red came charging back in minute 56 with a hell of a goal that almost made me dump the computer off my lap. That's my guy whom I love so very very much. Follow that up with a out-of-a-gun shot by Facundo Erpen, whom I've enjoyed for lots of reasons since the moment he joined up last year, in the 65th, and suddenly we have a really nice draw.

Yeeeeeah, I'll take it.

I can't say that I was particularly impressed by any of the New York guys, except for maybe Tony Meola, that man's a tank, holy merde! And I can't say that I care for their away uniforms, either. But DC had a good showing! Lucio Filomeno made a nice showing in the first half, as did Ben Olsen and Josh Gros.

So now let's talk about Freddy Adu. So Freddy played his first full 90 as a starter. And so far I'm wondering if maybe his main talent at the moment still is that he comes in at the 2nd half to provide a burst of speed from his fresh adolescent legs. I've said it before, Freddy is great when he turns it on. It's turning it on that's the problem, and I really didn't see that today.

So nearly ends Weekend No. 1 of the 2006 MLS season, and it's been a fĂștbol-heavy weekend, thanks to ABC, EPSN2 and the MLS.net video that's showing the games live. What's with this "watch it free until April 14th" thing? Not that I mind, anything that gives me nonstop fĂștbol without having to go to digital and Direct Kick -- hey, I'm a poor student, I can't afford that sort of thing -- I'll take it if it's not too dear. Yeah, it's a little grainy, but what're'y'gonnado?

It turns out that I suck at predictions, I came out wrong on almost every game. Dallas beat the Fire 3-2, KC beat the Crew 3-1 and DC tied with New York. What I did get right: the Revs over the Galaxy 1-0 (a game I stayed up to watch, which made this first Daylight Saving Time morning reeeeaally hard to wake up to) and Chivas beat Real 3-0. Still waiting on the outcome of the Dynamo and Rapids game, but at the moment it looks like the Dynamo are winning, and if so it goes in the first column of "wrong guesses."

Ahhhhh, soccer. I'm so glad you're back.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger D said…

    According to the Dawg, MLSNet is charging 20 to see the shows. I think that's probably worth it.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    D: Yeah, that's totally worth it. And that means that I'm going to get absolutely nothing done on any Saturday for the rest of the season. ...

    rhwgeek: i think this week even non-DCU fans are happy for him for that one goal. They'll go back to cursing him for the many many many that he'll score this season.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home