MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Now let me see ...

... if I can get this straight:

1. There once was an MLS team that represented New Jersey and New York, the Metrostars.

2. A really nasty, PixieStix-tasting drink company bought said team and changed its name to Red Bull New York, dissing the Garden State, except the team still plays in Jersey, thus proving that you can take Jersey out of the team, but you can't take the team out of Jersey.

3. And yet -- now MLS is annoucing an expansion in 2009 for the Philadelphia/Jersey area.

So was this what they had in mind all along when they dumped New Jersey out of the name for the former Metrostars? I'm guessing yes.

This seems like a wierd deal, location-wise, to me, but then again, I don't live on the East Coast and have never had the good fortune to visit, so I dunno, maybe that's the kinda thing that would work out there. More fĂștbol is more fĂștbol, so I'll take it.

In other news:
Less than two weeks until the MLS season starts. Yay! Except I'm working on Saturdays now, boo.
48 hours until the USMNT meets Germany for what I'm sure will be a good tough game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home