MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So out of 10 years of MLS ...

... the best goal of the decade comes at the end, I guess. MLS.net announced the results of the Sierra Mist Goal of the Decade vote, and it ended up being Carlos Ruiz's 2005 bicycle kick stunner. And I have to say I'm good with it, even if it did come at the expense of my beloved DC United.

Admittedly, I earlier voted for Dewayne De Rosario's bending free kick, but I regretted the vote the second I hit the button. Yeah, it was pretty, but it doesn't say "great soccer" to me, it just said, "great kick." The difference is subtle -- well, no it's not. So sue me, I got blinded by the pretty.

Ruiz's kick met all my criteria -- teamwork, good execution and -- most important -- flair. Poor Nick Rimando barely even had a chance to move, and the after-gol celebration by FC Dallas was lovely. So yeah, it's sweet. I'll take it. I wish I'd been paying attention to all 30 nominees, because I'm really not personally satisfied until I weigh in on everything -- just like I'm not going to be really happy with the Oscar best-picture results until I see Crash and Munich. But that's a whole other deal ...

Other notes:
Three and a half more weeks until the beginning of the MLS season.
Still about two and a half months until World Cup.
Red Bull buying MetroStars? Eh, I'm not much of a MetroStars fan, so I'll reserve comment until things shake out. Except to say that I'm also not much of a RedBull fan, it tastes like carbonated PixieStix to me.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    So you're trying to tell us that Dewayne's long hours of practice learning about the aerodynamics of spin and the precise place to put his foot on the ball to elicit just the amount of bend necessary to slip through the defenders is somehow less impressive than a series of moving bodies chaotically lining up out of coincidence and taking advantage of circumstances as they arose?

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Mr. Fish said…

    The metro got jobbed twice this week, losing their indentity and John Wolyniec missing out on MLS Goal of the Decade. How can a game-winning, sudden-death volley of a 45-yard pass NOT win? It's a crime, I'm telling you. Keep up the good work on the blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home