MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, March 06, 2006

From 1836 to Dynamo


So the Houston team has finally changed its name from the 1836 to the ... get ready for it ... the Houston Dynamo. I quite unfairly groaned out loud when I read that, because the name just sounds so ... ugh, what's the word ... I guess it just clangs in my mind's ear. It kinda sounds like a name you'd give for a Little League soccer team. It also puts me in mind of Dynamutt, from the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons, but that's me just being childish.

I've always had a thing about names, they just have to sound right. I once had a rule that stated if a guy had a name that sounded strange when it was being called out in a fit of passion, it just wasn't going to work out. Well, wouldn't you know I got over such things, so I'm trying to let the name Dyanmo (see, I can't even spell it. And when I try to say it I say Dymano. Dynamo. Say it with me, Dy-na-mo. Sheesh) grow on me. After all, I didn't like Fire, I didn't like Burn -- but hey, they changed that for me -- but after awhile I got used to Fire and now it seems like the right name for the team. I still loathe Real Salt Lake, but I suppose it could be considered appropriate, and at least that city takes care of its team.

The article on MLS.net does a fair job explaining the roots of that particular name and its links to Houston. Houston is an energy town -- most of the energy-related jobs from Oklahoma have migrated south to Houston -- and it has a skewed link to the former Houston Dynamos. So as much as the name just goes over for me like a lead balloon, I expect I'll get used to it. It at least has a cheer-friendlier feel than 1836 did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home