MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Agony of no-defeat

This is the year I shake off the MLS-esteem hangover that I've carried around since adopting this wonderful sport into my soul two years ago. After just a few weeks of watching fútbol as addictively as a new user on crack, I came up with a hierarchy -- world level, Olympic level, MLS, college. World was like attending a rock music festival headlined with the best major bands, and MLS was like going to the corner club to hear your favorite local indie band. You love the local guys and really hope they'll sign a big record deal someday, but if U2 is in town on the night they're playing, it's U2 baby, no hesitation.

Don't ask me about Olympic and college levels. It's just too complex.

So I've been an MLS apologist all this time. Yeah, I'd whine to my Premiership friends, I know it's a training ground, I know that I'm just watching the guys before they go off to star in Europe and when they come back to prepare for retirement. I know it's bush league, but it's my bush league. I know world futbol is fantastic to watch, but there's something about my heart that wants race to the sight of homegrown action. I love MLS because it's my fútbol, and it's good fútbol. It's not world fútbol, it's different. And this is the year I stop apologizing for it.

So it really helps that MLS champs the LA Galaxy drew (nearly won, too, but, y'know, hand grenades, horseshoes, etc. ...) with Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa in the first game of the CONCACAF Champions' Cup quarterfinals Thursday night and the New England Revolution drew with Alajuelense of Costa Rica on Wednesday in Hamilton, Bermuda. That's a good showing in addition to the top-notch performance that the MLS-packed US National roster has shown in the international friendlies of the past month.

The bad news -- the Galaxy's Todd Dunivant strained left hip flexor, and the Rev's Pat Noonan got a hamstring injury, so neither will be going to Germany for Wednesday's USMNT exhibition game against Poland. Salt Lake's Chris Klein, who rocked last week in Frisco, will take Noonan's place. Rather than put my crush Frankie Hejduk in, Bruce Arena is just leaving Dunivant's spot blank. Oh well. I can't watch that game anyway since I'm working that day so I'll be MatchTracking.

This leaves eight out of 19 spots that are filled by MLS players, which ain't too shabby. And I can't argue against any of the European contingent, because they are great. I luuuuuuuv Kasey (yeah, that'd be my Germany-based keeper crush ... hmmm, long hair and no hair, what is it with me?), I adore Carlos Bocanegra, and Brian McBride is just on fiyah lately.

I'm just going to have to promise unnatural favors to the guys manning the TV at my office to get them to flip the channel to ESPN2.

Other notes:
Only five more weeks until the MLS season begins.
A little more than 3 months until World Cup.
And I notice that Houston is still the 1836.
And Peter Nowak still has a job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home