MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Comeback Kid


I'll confess right upfront, I'm a D.C. United fan, in the beginning for no other real reason than Alecko Eskandarian. But after two years of watching this team through its highs of winning the 2004 MLS Cup through its not-quite-as-stellar 2005 season, my support for this team is fairly safe with or without Alecko's presence.

But why Alecko? Well, I'll be honest, at first it was simply because I could spot him easily from the camera's eye-view on ESPN2. I was a newcomer to the joys of soccer in 2004. Oh yeah, I was one of those strange souls in 2002 who got up at 4 in the morning to watch World Cup matches from Japan and South Korea, but that was more for the novelty than anything else, a way of marking difference in a state that lives, breathes and eats American football. The rest of the 2002 and 2003 seasons just passed me by, but in 2004, thanks to Olympic soccer, I got thoroughly hooked. As soon as Argentina claimed the gold, I started scouting around for more futbol must have more futbol!!! I quickly became enraptured with D.C. United and this solidly built powerhouse of a guy with a name that just rolled off my tongue: Alecko Eskandarian. Say it three or four times and just savor it. Doesn't hurt that he's cute as a button to boot, but that boy can play, and he proved it by becoming the MLS Most Valuable Player for 2004 when the Black-and-Red took the title.

When the 2005 season started, I was in front of the TV and ready to watch, waiting for the Eagles and Alecko to repeat their victories. Alecko had a tough start to his season -- only 12 games with seven starts, he just never found the goal to deliver that punishing finish that I came to know and love so well the previous year. And then in June, he got knocked out of play -- literally -- when the knee of New England keeper Matt Reis connected with his head in a terrifying blow that resulted in a severe concussion.

On the injured list he went, and I waited week after week after week for him to resume play. A concussion, I learned thanks to EPSN Soccernet, is no small matter, a deceptive injury that can blindside its sufferers with crushing headaches, fatigue, memory lapses and nausea, for weeks, months or sometimes years at a time, with no real indication that you're actually healing. I waited and worried for this guy that I so loved to watch, and post-season, I fretted some more, hunting for any sign that he would make a return in the 2006 season. We're miles past my personal desire to get my fix of good play. I just want this incredible talent to continue to shine.

Happily, MLS.net provides a nice story reassuring me that Alecko Eskandarian is back in full form -- almost, he's nursing a little groin injury acquired from going at it all balls. But there's six weeks until the season opens, plenty of time for him to heal up.

So, like the fangirl I am, I'm waiting a little too eagerly for April 2, so I can see my favorite guy play again. Like a teenage girl with a crush, I'm doodling Alecko's name on paper (well, fantasy league lists) and wondering if I can get a D.C. shirt with his name on it. Way to come back, Eskandarian. I'm looking forward to recognizing you from the camera's eye-view again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home