MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Dig those new threads

Fashionista week for the US Men's Team. Nike has released the team's uniforms for the World Cup in June. Thank ye kindly, U.S. Soccer.com, for posting the photos. But take a gander:



OK, I gotta say, I like the home uniform. The stripe going down the left side there is kicky and kinda cool. Also, I'm dying to see how many little rebels wear the left sock on the right leg, just to screw a little with the uniformity. C'mon Landon, prove you're the little showoff that you've always been and come out with the sock on the other leg. I dare ya.

But the blue away uniforms? Maybe it's just me and my anti-white pants bias, but I just don't see any oomph there. It reminds me of junior high gym outfits. And why blue? US futbol fans, we wear red when we support our team. Red's an agressive color. Red screams fire and passion and blood and heat and all the things that make this sport what it is. Hell, Nike's fan apparel for the US team is red. So why oh why go with blue, a color linked to passive daydreaming Zenlike calm? Maybe it's to lull all the other teams into a snoozy calm, to reinforce the "Oh, it's the US, we don't even have to break a sweat to beat them" attitude that no doubt many teams will bring in playing us.

Four and a half months and counting. Germany, we will rock you.

Don't forget that the US Men play a friendly with Guatemala on Sunday at 1p.m. CST. Coming off a 3-2 win over Japan and a 5-0 stomp on Norway (a cakewalk on both parts, with the opposing teams, quite frankly, just phoning in their performances), this might prove to be a toughie for us, thanks to our intercontinental rivalries of US vs. the rest of the Americas. These games are always fun. If The Bruce includes them again, Kerry Zavagnin and Todd Dunivant are the one's I'm watching, both of whom I thought played solidly in the last two games. Sure, everyone loves Taylor Twelleman, but that's just my deal of loving the guys on the support crew. While everyone goes for the lead singer or lead guitarist, give me the bassist any day. But Kerry and Todd have a tough row to hoe to earn a spot on the national team once the European players (how I miss you Kasey!) cross the pond to play for US. Still, I'm all about ya, guys.

But hey, speaking of fashion and MLS players, check out the March edition of Maxim magazine, which will feature a photo spread of some of MLS's brightest and hunkiest -- including Taylor, Landon Donnovan, Brian Ching, Pablo Mastroeni, Chris Albright and Clint Dempsey.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello,

    I was hoping you might give me some insight on why several players are missing from the 2007 Copa America roster such Donnovan, Beasley, Hedduh and Onyeu etc.? I am sure there are many great players for the US and they could use the international practice. I suppose that I am dissapointed in the lack of participation our leaders take in supporting US soccer, but now I am even more dissapointed that we don't enter the Copa America truly expecting to win or at least having less effort from our key players. Are there valid reasons why these players are missing? Does Donnovan not want to play or are there restrictions and what might they be preventing our known best players from participating?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home