MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"Have you seen the vermin? I will kill him."

And this is officially my favorite quote of the day, coming from the esteemed Kasey Keller in U.S. Soccer.com's All-Access tour of his 1,000-year-old castle near Dusseldorf. I knew he lived in a castle, but it's really cool to see a little tour of it. And this, my friends, is why I love this game, because how many catchers do we have that live in a castle that over its millenium of existence has lost its original gargoyles?

U.S. Soccer.com also has some video of the team meeting injured soliders recovering at Ramstein Air Base. This is really one of those boundary-crossing, national-to-world things that really sum up the game for me. ESPN Soccernet has a really nice story about the team's visit, meeting the soldiers and their families and getting some luv from their fans there, and about how they're expecting a good fan turnout, about 15,000. Of course, with the stadium being so close to Ramstein, it's a cinch that the military personnel will attend to show their national pride.

I'm all psyched about the friendly with Poland tomorrow, as you can tell. I'm trying to figure out how to get to watch this game at work. There's a TV in my office, and it's usually tuned to either CNN/MSNBC or ESPN/EPSN2. There's an off-chance that it might be tuned to the game, probably by accident if it's there at all. The sports fans in my office are generally rabidly anti-soccer. You know that Nike commercial from a few months back where there's the voice-over of the guy talking about how much he hates soccer? Yeah, these are the guys I work with. It's like Franklin Foer wrote the last chapter of How Soccer Explains the World just about them.

But I'm noticing that there's an undercurrent of soccer interest that's starting to build up. I figured there would be, seeing as ABC has invested some money in World Cup coverage this summer that its networks are starting to actually act a little like there's an audience out there for world-stage soccer. They might be starting to draw in some in-general sports fans, to get them in the frame of mind to jump in on the summer's In Thing. Of course, there's also a rumor floating about that if the Wizards jump ship at KC after the 2006 season, they might come to Tulsa, and nothing fires up attention like having a local team to root for.

I personally think that's a load of bunk, because it's not like Oklahoma's really known for having a soccer fanbase. But then again, I hope I'm wrong, because it'd be great to have an MLS team in easy driving distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home