MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Fantasy redux

OK, the actual real MLS fantasy league has kicked off, and this time I picked a team for real. It's quite a DC-heavy team, but I'm OK with that, since, as they're my favorite team, I'll be following them the most. Six out of my 11 players are DC -- all three strikers, 1 midfielder, 1 defender and the keeper. I'll let you guess who I picked out of that lineup. Anyone who reads this blog at all knows exactly the DC striker that I just love to pieces, and the hint for most of the rest is that I adore the South American contingent, they're a hoot and a holler.

Yeah, that'd be Alecko, Lucio, Facundo and Christian, Santino, plus Troy on goal.

Rounding out the group, I've got Paulo Nagamura of LA, Kerry Zavagnin of KC and Colorado's Pablo Mastroeni in the mid, and Nick Garcia of KC and my futbol crush Frankie Hejduk in the back. I've got some La Copa de Mundial worries for Zavagnin and Mastoreni, and very slight stirrings of wonder for Frankie and Santino, but I'm fairly certain this is a group that'll be mostly playing domestically throughout the summer. I have no idea if this is good, and they were costly, but I know I like them all, so that should boost my pleasure in the whole thing.

I am breathlessly awaiting my tickets for the Saturn Challenge Cup match between KC and Dallas on March 25, and it occurred to me to wonder who all will be showing up in tiny lil' Moore, OK, for this game. I could swear that I heard that the US Men's National Team for the March 22 international friendly against Germany in Germany will be staffed mostly by US-based players, since the European clubs won't be releasing players for it. Well, as much as I'd like to see Zavagnin and Eddie Johnson and Josh Wolff and such, it'll be a fun night even if they're not there.

And hey, look, the USMNT is doing a send-off series before they head to Germany for the World Cup -- vs. Morocco in Nashville on May 23, vs. Venezuela in Cleveland on May 26 and vs. Latvia in East Hartford on May 28. (In my horrific ignorance, I actually sat there for a second and thought, "Latvia? Isn't that the country of which Dr. Doom is the dictator? Sad, I prove I'm a product of public education). Now, how far is it to Nashville ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home