MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Quickie recap

So, like many futbol fans, I have to work today, so I didn't actually get to watch the whole USMNT vs. Germany game. I did get to watch the first 20 minutes, was 15 minutes late to work and MatchTracked the rest. My thoughts as the game progressed:

First 20 minutes: So far, so good, although there seems to be a lot of bad luck on both sides. I really hope Josh Wolff is OK. ...

Halftime: OK, scoreless. That's not a bad sign.

47th minute: Dammit. That's OK, it's just one goal from Germany. They can recover.

74th minute: Dammit!! Another goal. OK, that's all right, there's still time, they can get one goal or even tie.

77th minute: Dammit!!!! What the hell!

80th minute: DAMMIT! How is this possible, I turn my head from the damn computer for one second and there's another goal!

85th minute: Huh, a Steve Cherundalo goal with an assist by Kasey Keller. I love it when that happens ... but ...

OK ... so 4-1 isn't ... well, I'm still disappointed. Having not seen the game, I'm not really sure what happened, so I'm looking forward to game reports. I may stay up to watch the delay on Telemundo just to see for myself how exactly the team gave up three goals in six minutes. Just tell me they played as well as they could ...

Later ...
After reading the game reports, all I can say is, ouch.

A few weeks back, before the game with Poland, I wrote little sumpthin' here about the possibility that the greatest opponent the US Men's team was facing wasn't European teams, but sheer overconfidance coming off a great run of friendlies. After the win against Poland, I was thinking that maybe I was wrong, that the team had its ego well in hand.

Eh ... maybe not. The AP story linked above quotes USMNT veteran and keeper god Kasey Keller as saying, "Maybe some guys were looking at that ranking a little bit too seriously. It's a reality check for a few guys and that's a good thing, this time, that it doesn't happen June 12."

Ouch.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Virtual Yogi said…

    They looked bad in the second half.. like a bunch of high school players. Players who *should not* make the WC roster:
    Berhalter - Too slow

    Chris Klien, Taylor Twellman, Ben Olson - cant make it at this level, need to learn how to use both feet (remember that chris klien - you can cross with the left foot)

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I don't know. Wish I'd seen the full game. Something about the scoring pattern at 74+ just doesn't make sense. When an otherwise balanced game suddenly tilts that drastically at the end, there are other forces at play.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    All the game reports say that after that first goal by Germany, the US defense completely crumbled.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    Absolutely the defense crumbled. I think the only goal that you can start to blame Keller on was the 3rd one -- maybe the 1st but it was through traffic. Greg Berhalter was absolutely awful. I liked Gibbs, Cherundolo, and especially Bobby Convey. The latter did a lot towards making the roster for Germany.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home