MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Kickoff eve

Gol Time tomorrow! What sucks: I have to work tomorrow afternoon, so I either need to find a way to wrestle the TV away from the cops reporters, or see how stealthily I can watch a game via MLS.net on my computer. Seeing as most of the time ESPN2/ABC shows the games I'm the least interested in, I get a lot of mileage out of MLS.net.

What's great: Fútbol AND fantasy fútbol. I imagine that I'll be just as bad at playing fantasy fútbol as I am at playing en corpus. Although it looks like my goalkeeper pick of Troy Perkins was a serendipitous one, what with Nick Rimando still out on a foot injury. But get well soon, Nick!

Also, it seems that Freddy Adu is getting a chance to be a starter this season. Gee, with the way he's always been hyped, you'd think he'd always been a starter. "It's Freddy Adu-And-D.C.-United!" like it's his whole name. Don't get me wrong, I think Freddy's a great player, but he ain't that great. Yet. When he's on, he's on. When he's not ... eh. Now that he's at the ripe old age of 16, it'll be interesting to see if he can turn it on at will and keep it on for a full 90.

Just watched the Embrace the Colors ad at MLS.net. Um. Hmmm. OK. I may try to distract any fútbol initiates that I entice to watching a game when that ad comes on ...

Let's see, do I have any predictions about this season: Not really predictions. I still don't know what I'm talking about half the time, so prediction is too strong a word. But here's what I hope:

I hope Chivas does better this season than last. I think they were just starting to come together at the end of their first season, and I hope they carried that bit of momentum into the 2006 season.

I hope that DC United recaptures their 2004 glory and finishes the season on top. It's biased of me, but I'm a fangirl, and they're just too good a team not to be on top.

On that note, I hope Alecko Eskandarian has a great season.

I hope that any interest, if any, in fútbol from June's World Cup will carry over into interest in MLS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home