MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Is there such a thing as Monday-morning quarterbacking in soccer?

So's I asks myself today, "Is it really fair of me to be disappointed in the US Men Team's spanking in Germany yesterday? After all, it was not, as they say, the first string, and they were playing what very likely is going to be Germany's World Cup contingent. Most of these guys here aren't gonna be the team, so should I have expected anything out of them at all?"

Except here's the rub: inexperienced players or no, they're still wearing the team colors, and no matter who they are, they're the team. One can focus on the team that is made up of individual players, or the Team that is One Whole Unit. And that's what we're talking about here, the Team. All I ever ask is that the team plays as well as it can. Considering the fairly solid first half, I really expected more of the team in the second. Inexperienced or not, World Cup drafts or not, I think they really could have done better.

I appreciated this quote by Bruce Arena from U.S. Soccer.com:

“In all honesty, in a game like tonight, we were pretty undermanned, obviously, not having our full compliment of players. The game served the purpose of evaluating players. I’d never come again to Germany to play the host country in their last tune-up before the World Cup with a second team, but this team is wearing USA. We got beat, and we deserved to get beat.”


Although I'd really like to point out to the writer that it's complement -- with an e -- not compliment ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home