MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Weekend hindsight

I love love love getting to watch my MLS games on the viewer at MLS.net. Love it love it love it. I watched FOUR games this weekend, can you even believe it? I can't even remember the last time I got to watch that much soccer. And the video in three out of the four games were crystal clear, much better than the grainy view I got last year using Windows Media Viewer for Mac. My only complaint -- the sound cut out on me for the Rapds-Crew game. But considering that I was rooting for the Crew on that one, I wasn't too upset by not getting to hear the sound of utter defeat. But that's OK, where oh where do I sign up to get this every week?

DC 2, Chivas 0
My Black-and-Red came out and played a good game against my favorite West Coast expansion team Chivas USA. Jaime Moreno's two goals were nice, especially the one he stalked into the goal. The only thing that would have made it a great game for me is if one of the goals had belonged to comeback kid Alecko Eskandarian. He has some nice shots on goal, but no connections. Oh well, he'll get 'em next week. Can't say I was surprised that wunderkind Freddy Adu didn't start. And yay, welcome back Christian Gomez! I was a little irked at John O'Brien didn't come off the bench for Chivas, since I just bought the guy for my fantasy team. I swear I'm trading him for Ante Razov.
Later edit: I'd completely forgotten about that Chivas free kick. Quite honestly, it looked in to me then, and after reviewing the highlight reel, it looks in to me now. Oh well, don't mean a thing today.

Kansas City 2, Houston 1
Sometime USMNT player Brian Ching garnered the first goal for the new Houston Dynamo, but that effort was completely wiped clean by scores from the Wizards' Sasha Victorine and Jose Burciaga. I'm pleased by this result but I have to admit I'm surprised. I thought Houston played a stronger game and still believe, despite the Wizards' 2-0 record so far, that Houston has a stronger team. Still, we'll see if the luck that drew the goals for KC will translate into a lion's share of skill.

Rapids 3, Crew 1
I only caught the tail-end of this game, and that last 30 was a true heartbreaker for me. I'm thinking that my soccer crush Frankie Hejduk needs a new team. I hate saying that, because I became a fan of the Crew last summer, yes, last summer when the team ended in the tank. But they played with a lot of heart, and I just haven't seen them do that yet. I hope they find it soon. On the plus side, Frankie looked awfully damn cute.

Chicago 1, LA 1
Ha. And let me say that again. Ha. Yes, Landon Donovan is arguably one of the best players in the league, but hell, everyone knows it, and everyone knows to keep the ball off his feet. Admittedly, LA has other stars -- Herculez Gomez and Cobi Jones, just to name a few -- but Landon's Da Man. Well, it sucks to be the one everyone's out to get.

Dallas 2, Salt Lake 1
I didn't watch this game and I could hardly care less about the results, as these are my two least favorite teams in the league. But I can't say this surprises me. Whatever momentum Salt Lake had in the off-season, they've completely lost now. Dallas, however, is playing well and if they continue they'll be a huge force to reckon with this season.

New England 0, New York 0
Another game I did not watch, and I have to say I'm surprised as hell at this result. I expected a win from New England. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home