MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Return of the Fangirl part deux

Gooooats! Gooooats!! Goooooooats!!

Yes, I'm fresh off Sunday's Chivas-Dynamo game, which, as a Goats fan (sorry, Houston, normally I'd be on your side because I love Brian Ching and DDR, but I loves my Guadalajara expansion, yes I do) I'm really happy about. They ended last season with, what, 13 points or something like that, and now they're in the middle of the first round of playoffs. How can I not love that? Thank you, Ante Razov and Paco Palencia (and Brad Guzan for that awesome PK save!) for putting the icing on my Sunday, which took the cake for me when Chicago beat New England in Chicago. Lovely, it was, to go from one game where the fans were bundled up in blankets because it was so frigid to the next where Marcelo and Co. were concerned about the heat on the pitch.

Sorry for the prolonged absence, I've been in the middle of a very busy semester combined with having to work on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, so I haven't had much of a futbol fix lately. Here's one fangirl who's looking forward to Thursday night MLS on ESPN2 next season. Ach, I can't believe the season's almost over!! Sunday's playoff games on ABC/ESPN2 were the first matches I've seen in ages and ages, and what great games they were.

Of course, I really would have loved to see that wonderful Gomez gol from the DC-Red Bulls game on Saturday. Wow!

Anyway, I'm well past the ability to do any picking at this point. I'm putting all my faithful fan energy behind DC all the way and will cheer along the others as they come. Although I've got high high hopes for the Goats!

And hey, congrats to my favorite US-based keeper Troy Perkins for his MLS Goalkeeper of the Year award -- quite aptly deserved in his case -- and to Bobby Boswell getting Defender of the Year. Ah, what a turnaround from last year, huh?

I'm getting less and less interested in Beckham watch as time goes on, but here's yet another new story about Becks considering his options, which include coming to the US. Of course, my question these days is, do we really want him?

1 Comments:

  • At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you see the fit Loco had when he was subbed off in the 63rd minute? I don't think Coach Bradley or the PSV scouts much liked that. I hope it doesn't have any affect on the team for this weekend's game. Go Goats.

    As for Becks, no, we don't want him. The $10 mil or so you'd pay him could go along way toward buying multiple players from overseas and stocking the league with better talent across the board. Unfortunately, in the minds of the MLS Execs, that won't put as many butts in seats. However, I'm of the opinion that the fan base will increase as the overall level of play increases. Call me crazy.

    Welcome back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home