MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

If life gives you gators, make Gatorade (tm)

With more than a month behind us since the USMNT's less-than-stellar performance in the Germany Mundial, I'm starting to wonder if maybe US fútbol destiny is less linked to the performance of the USMNT than previously thought and discussed to pieces. Everyone who said before the show -- and I'm including myself in this list, because heavens know I committed mental seppuku over that last game with Ghana -- that the future of fútbol in the US would rise or fall with the USMNT might have missed out on one of the more fundamental features of life, that being, sometimes what seems like a little defeat is really a step toward a larger victory.

I can't help but notice that since the World Cup jets have cooled, fútbol in the US has, actually, been doing fairly well. I mean, we've got the MLS All*Stars beating EPL powerhouse Chelsea, last night DC United drew with Spanish heavyweights Real Madrid, there are more than a dozen Yanks playing with teams in Europe and elsewhere, and they're doing rather well there, as could be evidence with Moenchengladbach naming everyone's favorite keeper Kasey Keller team captain for the season.

OK, so it might not amount to a real hill of beans. Both the MLS All*Stars and DC United were/are diverse teams with players from many different nations as well as the US, but still, they're representational of the state of soccer in the US. Of course, we have to throw down with the whole MLS teams=fit vs. European teams=unfit because they haven't started their season yet, but I can really recall when that wouldn't have been an issue. Maybe our players abroad are getting some notice because we're just coming off the World Cup where we as a nation -- and our sportswriters -- were forced to realize that we had talent overseas and at home as well.

Still, though, I think the dire prediction I and others made about the fútbol's future in the US is proving out to be dead wrong. What's happening is what always happens, that give a meme some legs and it'll run as soon as it learns to walk. US fútbol is slowly but surely toddling ahead, and I think it's proving out that the choking defeat by the USMNT in Germany isn't taking the air out of this beautiful US game.

On to quick picks

Dynamo vs. Dallas: Oooh, ouch, I guess I'm going to start loving Santino for the Galaxy, his trade certainly paid off for them in their defeat against Houston. Houston goes into the intrastate rivalry with that behind them. I'm thinking that against Western champs Dallas, Houston is going to continue to wilt. I'm going to have to go with Dallas on this game.

Wizards vs. Crew: I'm going to go absolutely nuts here and say the Crew is going to get it together and pull off a surprise win over KC. It can happen. And pigs can fly out of my ... well, it can happen. Why not.

Fire vs. Chivas: What's this, Midwestern Day? All the games are in the middle of the country, which means they're all in my time zone and they're all about at the same time. Man, I miss those midnight games on the West Coast, there is something cozy about watching a game in bed just before you go to sleep. Anyway, I want to say Chivas is going to win this one, but I'm learning more toward a draw. Scoreless.

Colorado vs. LA: *sigh* So Santino Quaranta is with the Galaxy, along with Landon and Cobi and Cornell and all the other guys who do so well when you put them all together. Yeah, it'll probably be LA on this game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home