MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Roll call

I've made some additions to the blogroll over there on stage right. Say a hearty hello, how are ya, to Are You Loyal? (An RSL blog, but I won't let that get in the way), Footcer Socblog (which gets an award for most interesting name), Goal Posts, It's a Simple Game, Poplar Point Perspective and Ziga Zoga (which I'm allowing on there even though the name is bringing back some Spice Girls flashbacks).

My daily dose of heartbreak comes from dcsundevil -- Oh My God, They've Killed ... no, wait ... They've Traded Santino! Man, I really liked Quaranta! I've been missing him for most of the season, seeing as he's been out nursing that injury and walking his dog. Oh well, I guess I'll have to learn to love him in LA, if such a thing is possible for me.

Later add: AP finally moved a story on the trade, which says Santino was traded for "partial rights to a future player and a conditional 2008 draft pick." How's that gotta feel, I wonder. "Yeah, Tino, we traded you for, well, no one at the moment." Upon later thought, I can't really feel too bad for him leaving. With Alecko back and in black, along with all the other starting talent, a young gun like Quaranta wouldn't see much play, I suppose. Lord knows the Galaxy needs all the help it can get.

And what's this? Thanks to It's a Simple Game we have news from the NY Times about the pending return of ex-DCer Dema Kovalenko to the US, to play for RBNY. I have to say, New York's really really trying to make me get over this inexplicable dislike I have for them, what with Coach Arena and now Dema going over there.

And look, there's games on tomorrow!! Wouldn't you know that there'd be games on my night off, except I've already got a date with Ricky Bobby and a large popcorn. I really have to get over this recording delay/archive allergy I've got.

Quick picks:

Revs vs. Wizards: I'd really really like the Wizards to pick it up this game, because I actually think they're due to recapture the good run they had at the beginning of the season. Of course, the same can be said about the Revs. I'm going against all logic to root for the Wizards to win.

Dynamo vs. Galaxy: Again, I've got to go with my regional favorites here, even though I think there's a better chance of a Galaxy victory. The Galaxy has been pulling its head out of its collective butt since it got its World Cup guys back, whereas the Dynamo's been ticking along like a good piece of machinery. I'm all about Houston for this game, and really wishing I had time and a heatstroke death wish to sit through eight hours of futbol in order to watch this game and the FC Barca/Club America game.

Colorado vs. Salt Lake: RSL has als been working on making me dislike them less, and even though they recently put the kabosh on my darling DCU, I'll give them my favor for this game over Colorado, for no reason other than just because.

Another later add: Oh, man, I forgot about DC playing against Real Madrid. Um, I hate to say it, but let's keep that Chelsea victory in mind, it might dull the pending sting ...

5 Comments:

  • At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RBNY picking up Dema should make you dislike them more. The guy is a thug

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should make the drive down to Houston. I was at the Barca-Chivas match on Sunday, and all I can say is wow! The game was played at the pace of a "friendly", but seeing 92,650 fans cheering on Ronaldinho and about as many flash bulbs going off as he walked onto the pitch was amazing.

    I think the next Champions League final should be played at the LA Coliseum.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger The Manly Ferry said…

    Kick ass! You do previews too! I'll be monkeying with mine later today (dang, that's work ain't it?).

    Let's see. Dema's fine. Though I'm required to say such things by my wife, who thinks he's "dreamy" makes me say such things, Dema's a handy little thug.

    Thanks for blog-rolling. I'll return the favor shortly (with my traffic, however, I can't call it much of a favor).

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    You know, I know people say Dema's a thug, but ... oh, I dunno, for some reason I didn't mind it so much. It's not the same sort of liking -- oh, let's admit it, out and out futbolista crush -- I have for Frankie and Alecko, but Dema was OK by me. Let's see how I feel about him when he's playing for RBNY.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger The Manly Ferry said…

    Right. I did previews, but buried under a lot of other crap. Wade through the top, enjoy it, do what you wish, but the previews have been (half-assed) and posted.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home