MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Less taste, more filling

I was sort of kidding when I speculated last week about ex-USMNT coach Bruce Arena moving over to Red Bull New York! Yet here it is just five days after his USMNT dismissal: Arena is now the New York's main squeeze.

But it makes a lot of sense -- RBNY just lost its second coach of the season so it had an opening, and I get the sense of a grand rebuilding plan in place, despite the rather yicky season record of more draws than just about anyone but not a whole lot of wins. I'm also guessing that the makers of that PixieStix-flavored fizzy brew are throwing a lot of cash into their team and into MLS with an aim to bring it up and take it out into the great wide futbol-lovin' world. All the rumours about various Euro-stars who will be running out their years toward retirement in the Big Apple are probably going to be turning to truth in the next few years. Now all we have to do is wait. So congrats, Il Bruce, and welcome to New York. And throw back a few Jaegers and RBs on me.

Looking forward to the All-Star game? I sure as heck am, especially since it's packed with Red-and-Black goodness. Seven of my beloved DC United guys will go up against EPL hard-hitters Chelsea on Aug. 5 -- my man Alecko Eskandarian, Freddy Adu, Brian Boswell, GK extraordinare Troy Perkins, Jaime Moreno and my fantasy team gol-scorer Christian Gomez join up with the rest of the crew that includes USMNT members Landon Donovan, Pablo Mastroeni, Brian Ching, Jimmy Conrad, Eddie Pope and Chris Albright.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Fisch said…

    I'm looking forward to next Saturday as well, watching DC United, with a little help from their MLS friends, take on the worlds' best roster, Chlesea. Actually, the fact there are so many United players on the squad might make for a better performance than the last time an MLS All-Star team took on a European squad. This year's squad should play a lot more like a team, if they can put together a better effort than United did last night.

    Oh, and what a goal that the Revs had last night! Someone has to get Clint Dempsey over to Europe so he can get the training he needs to become the world-class talent the US need him to be.

    So how did United get such a devoted fan out in Oklahoma?

    For more on last night's MLS action, you can check MY blog at http://fischfry.blogspot.com

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    Thanks for your comment, Fisch! I've been so distracted by life I'm afraid my futbol passion has suffered for it, but you've reminded me to get back into it, especially with the United-packed All*Star game on Saturday. What can I say, one day I turned on the television, saw Alecko and the rest of the DC United crew and I fell in soccer-love. They're without a doubt the best team in MLS. That's the lovely thing about telecommunications, it brings the whole world to you :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home