MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Monday, June 12, 2006

I reject your reality and substitute my own

I'm taking a class this month that runs from 10:30 to 12:30 CDT, so as I'm an annoying dedicated student, I didn't get so see the US take on the Czech Republic. Having not actually seen the game for myself, I'm going to go with my own blind, frantic belief that the US did fanTAStically and is well on its way to winning Group E. Feh, who need reality? Who needs things like actual statistics. I'm an American, by jimminy, and I don't let pesky things like facts get in my way.

In reality, though, 3-0?

Ugh.

On any other given day, I would have been dejected by Japan's 3-1 fall to Austrailia, because hell, they were winning when I left the house!! But I've got so much emotionally invested in the United States, and when they lose, I feel it in my heart and they're getting primacy. I feel like I just got broken-up with by a guy who I thought was the perfect guy but it turned out he lied to me on every point. It's funny how apt that is to describe how broken-hearted I am by this loss. Part of me wants to put my head down on the table and cry a little bit and then get up and swear off men ... er, I mean US futbol ... forever, throw my support toward England or Mexico like all my friends are doing, the ones who are die-hard Premiership fans and speak in disparaging terms of US futbol.

But this is the thing about being a true fan, you don't love them just because they win. You may break up with the guy for being an asshole, but you never turn your back on your friends just because they screw up.

Go US!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sadly, reality is a harsh mistress. Very, very harsh in the case.

    (SLAP!) "Thank you, mistress, would you please score another goal on me?!" (SLAP!) "Thank you mistress..."

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Crew Fan said…

    I, too, was another of those students who registered for a summer class the same time as the US game. Ah, the hard student life

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you can't watch the games live and don't have a suitable recording device, note that some games are being rebroadcast later in the day on ESPNU and ESPN Classic channels, if you get those channels that is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home