MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sampson relieved of duties

So the Galaxy's dismal record this season has caught up to head coach Steve Sampson, according to a news release on MLSnet.com. The man who lead the Galaxy to the 2005 MLS Cup Championship was relieved of his duties as head coach.

And it really has been a terrible season for the Galaxy, which currently is sitting at the very very bottom of the Western standings, three points below Chivas. And with the way things have been going lately, I don't foresee the Galaxy winning against their cross-town rival on Thursday night.

No word on MLSnet.com on who is replacing Sampson at LA's helm. I've noticed some talk here and there in the futbol blogsphere calling for Sampson's dismisal, just about as often as I've heard calls for RSL head coach John Ellinger's dismisal for Salt Lake's bad season, before they started winning. It will be interesting to see what kind of turnaround, if any, the Galaxy will have with this change. The Galaxy is facing the same problem that some other MLS teams have, namely losses of key players to the national team, though the Galaxy hadn't been playing nearly up to past form from the beginning of the season even before the players left for their respective training camps.

Well, it should make for an interesting game on Thursday night, watch it on ESPN. And Thursday starts what's going to be an orgy of futbol for the month of June. I'm so distracted by all things footie I can't concentrate. I've spent most of today figuring out time zone differences for various games, and between MLSLive.tv and all the futbol coverage on ABC/ESPNs/Univision, there's actually going to be moments where I can have two live games running at once. Gah, I need help. I am not just a fangirl, I am a futbol-a-holic ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home