MLS Fangirl

Comments from a fangirl's eye-view on Major League Soccer, the American slice of the world's greatest sport.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

All*Star thoughts

6:30 CDT: Who's earing his paycheck this game so far? Yeeah, boy, Troy Perkins, that's who.

And you know what kills me? That a goodly portion of the spectators who are at the stadium are there to watch Chelsea. I'm quite very pleased with the game so far. Oooh, better not say that too loudly, lest the soccer gods hear me and make things all fall apart.

7:30 CDT: Huh, what? You replace just about everyone but you leave in Facundo? OK, I love Facundo and his eyebrows, and some of the stellar stars came in, like everyone's favorite adolecent Freddy and my favorite of the favorites Alecko Eskandarian, but what the hell, you take out Troy, who's doing so well? Troy, who, by the way, is my pick for MVP. God, this Internet connection is slow. Nice gol by DDR, though.

Afterward: OK, so Joe Cannon does a nice job, too. Yay for the All*Stars! That's two in a row against an EPL team, which, I know, doesn't seem to mean anything in the way of respect on the world futbol stage, but to me it's something. I liked the red kits that the All*Stars were wearing, too, much better than the blue Sierra Mist threads from last year. Red is the US color, and MLS, with it's little Embrace the Colors campaign, should just go with it. Keep the red. All in all, a good game.

Much later: Gah, don't you just hate how no one can just lose gracefully to a US team? Yes, Coach Mourinho, we get that Chelsea hasn't started up its season yet, but to just write it off as a "training session" is just a little snotty, don't you think? It reminds me of when the USMNT beat Mexico last September to qualify for the World Cup, how Coach Ricardo LaVolpe snarked off that the only reason the US won was because no one in the US cared about soccer and therefore they were under no pressure. OK, so yes, it's also a little true that it doesn't mean anything to Chelsea to lose to the MLS All*Stars. But you know what, it means a heckuvalot to MLS to win in a staunch game against an EPL great.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger DH said…

    At least John Terry showed some class in his post-match interview, praising the US, the MLSers, and the new stadium.

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nowak for USMNT Coach?

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger 200percent said…

    Well, congratulations on beating The Richest Club Side In The World! It's a significant pair of results, that MLS All Star teams have beaten Premiership teams twice this summer, though there will be plenty of people that will be happy to write these results off as flukes on account of them being friendlies, but I think that anybody thinking that there has been no shift in the balance of power towards the USA would be foolish.

    FIFA should really pull their fingers out of their backsides and put together a meaningful World Club Championship (as opposed to the charade that they subject us all to at the moment).

    DH is quite right, as well. John Terry had some problems with the booze when he was younger, but has matured into a gentleman. I strongly suspect that he'll be the next England captain.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger MLS Fangirl said…

    dh: I wished I'd seen that, it's certainly nice to see folks from Over There speak well of US futbol.

    Anonymous: Man, I'd love that, I think he'd do really well! Nowak vs. Jurgen ... hmmm.

    200: I've been having a running argument with an EPL friend of mine who swears that the US is going to become a new world soccer powerhouse, and I've been calling him nuts. I still think he's full of it, but games like this one make me think that we're headed toward powerhouse territory slowly but surely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home